FacebookYouTubeFlickrTwitter

It is currently 24 Nov 2017 09:24

Taking apart 3pc-ers

How to split and rebuild them. Where to find spares. Want gold bolts, wider rims, flat caps etc.

Moderator: WW Moderating Team

Taking apart 3pc-ers

Postby Timmermans » 06 Mar 2007 15:05

Hello fellas, just a few questions

a. Is there an easy way to strip the existing sealant off the wheel?

b. I plan on reusing the current bolts, is there any specific product to get them to gleam real nice without spending hours cleaning each one?

c. I've heard of people having problems when tightening the bolts to BBS' recommended torque settings. Do any of you have an ideal torque setting that hasn't caused you problems?

d. What's a good sealant and where to get it?

Thanks so much for any info,
Jon
uhn tiss uhn tiss uhn tiss
Timmermans

Re: Taking apart 3pc-ers

Postby 4low » 06 Mar 2007 15:27

Timmermans wrote:Hello fellas, just a few questions

a. Is there an easy way to strip the existing sealant off the wheel?

b. I plan on reusing the current bolts, is there any specific product to get them to gleam real nice without spending hours cleaning each one?

c. I've heard of people having problems when tightening the bolts to BBS' recommended torque settings. Do any of you have an ideal torque setting that hasn't caused you problems?

d. What's a good sealant and where to get it?

Thanks so much for any info,
Jon

Right take out all the bolts,get as much sealant off with a craft knife or similar tool,put wheel face down and with a hammer pref rubber,wood give a few light bangs to the back of the wheel,the face will then pop out,right split the other to parts of the wheel,try and get between the seal with a knife,a feww gentle bangs on the back of the rim should split them,It is very important every bit of sealant is of the wheels and i mean every bit,i find there useing a wire wheel on a drill soon gets it of,then go round both parts with the wet and dry 800 will be fine.Soak your bolts over night in some thinners,then the next day get your old toothbrush out and give them a scrub,they should come up well depending on the condition,right i use something called stickerflex which is found in the uk,i am sure the us will have a similar thing,if not better.phone a wheel refurber up and ask what they use.,put the 3 piece wheels back togeather and bolt up,dont move around the wheel clockwise bolt at 12 o clock bolt at 6 oclock and so on untill al are in,i have never torqued any up i find that hand tight is fine,not to much or they will snap,then where your inner bead is where you removed the sealant from put a 5mm thick line on each side of the inner bead all the way round one at a time,then with your finger wipe smooth and flatten the sealant with your finger.so it pushes it into the broken bead,remember thou not to hard or you will wipe it off.,only put on in the warm or the sealant will not set right.
Good luck,and feel free to ask if you get stuck. :wink:
4low

Postby C4RBN » 07 Mar 2007 15:09

the sealant is called 'SIKAFLEX' to help with a search
C4RBN

Postby Timmermans » 07 Mar 2007 16:55

Cool, thanks fellas
Timmermans

Postby The Polisher » 07 Mar 2007 22:12

Link below will walk you through the split and re-build.
cheers
mike

http://www.the-polisher.com/id6.html
The Polisher
Tele:-07813083028
www.the-polisher.com
thepolisher@lycos.co.uk
Full Split-Rim refurbishing BBS, OZ etc etc
Chrome Painting
Chrome Plating,
Gold Plating,
Polishing,
Powder Coating
The Polisher

Postby Timmermans » 08 Mar 2007 04:53

Very helpful guide, thanks Mike :wink:
Timmermans

Postby C4RBN » 13 Mar 2007 11:02

the guide has been helpful for me too Mike. My centre spider will not let go of the rear section. I have given it a few taps with a large rubber mallet but no success. Any suggestions?? They are BBS RS 302 in 17" Porsche fitment. The outer rim same of relitively easily.
C4RBN

Postby 4low » 14 Mar 2007 16:31

Keep hitting m8,it will come of,a had to hit my old rs's full belt about 10 times with a rubber mallet it will seperate.
4low

Postby tektoo2 » 14 Mar 2007 18:10

4low wrote:Keep hitting m8,it will come of,a had to hit my old rs's full belt about 10 times with a rubber mallet it will seperate.

same here... keep hitting. i put a folded towel on the center of mine, as when i took my A's apart for polishing, one just would not come apart... and the rubber mallet/towel combo did the job with no damage!!!!...

keep at it sir!
tektoo2

Postby C4RBN » 16 Mar 2007 10:44

4low wrote:Keep hitting m8,it will come of,a had to hit my old rs's full belt about 10 times with a rubber mallet it will seperate.

Will do then. Not having such a clever day at work today so it may come a little easier tonight!
C4RBN

Postby VicToR7 » 28 Mar 2007 00:56

lubricate the sealant too when pushing it in with you finger using some warm water, makes it sit much better and doesnt leave leaky holes....

any high modolus sealant will be fine, i use bostik mainly works great, never had a leaking wheel
VicToR7
Banded Steel

Postby Timmermans » 24 Apr 2007 22:25

cool cool good tips

I've changed my mind, and WILL be getting new bolts. BFI has them for $1.35 each, however they are not authentic BBS bolts.

Is there a risk of using these? Or should I just look for real BBS bolts...
Timmermans

Postby Timmermans » 01 May 2007 21:18

doobie doobie doooo

Timmermans

Postby Timmermans » 27 May 2007 01:37

another update for you blokes

Timmermans

Postby Timmermans » 04 Jun 2007 03:28