FacebookYouTubeFlickrTwitter

It is currently 26 Apr 2018 12:59

POSSIBLE SCAM WHEEL LISTINGS ON WHEEL SANCTUARY - BE AWARE!

Follow these rules to reduce risk of being caught out by the many scammers that operate online these days...

Moderator: WW Moderating Team

POSSIBLE SCAM WHEEL LISTINGS ON WHEEL SANCTUARY - BE AWARE!

Postby Mintdubs » 25 Sep 2011 20:49

Hi Folks,

I wanted to draw this to your attention as we are now aware of at least two members who have paid for wheels from other 'members' and these listings have been fake.

The advertisements have all been (so far) offering 18" & 19" BBS LM's at silly low prices. We are all human and love a bargain, so if something seems cheap we will jump all over it - unfortunately that is what the alleged scammers are hoping for and taking advantage of.

So far we have identified 4 members who are doing the alleged scamming - newish logins -

FORD88
BORA11
WHEELWHORE
BBSLOVER

The IP addresses all show up as being either Sligo or Donegal in Ireland. The sellers have stated to buyers that they are from Aberdeen and today one of these listings was spotted on London Gumtree.

PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE use common sense when trading online - if something seems to good to be true then it probably is. Always ask for a landline number to call the seller to their home - any genuine sellers won't mind this - and in the situation with these people, they wouldn't have been able to do this without using an Irish code, so the buyers would have known they were lying.

Please contact us if you have been involved - PM me directly as I have been dealing with some of the buyers.

If you have lost money to any of these guys, start a paypal claim right away. If you feel the need, do contact the police for a crime number and to make them aware of thus situation - I can provide them with IP addresses if needed.

The classifieds are a great place for our members to trade and we intend to help keep it a safe place to trade.

Thanks,

Noel - mintdubs
Mintdubs
Site Admin

Re: POSSIBLE SCAM WHEEL LISTINGS ON WHEEL SANCTUARY - BE AWA

Postby Mintdubs » 14 Oct 2011 15:49

Hey folks,

These people are still trying with this - but we are catching them now as soon as they are registering and banning the accounts.

Please, Please, Please be aware of cheap BBS LM's - if it looks to good to be true then it is! the sellers are vague with their descriptions, dont confirm location on their adverts and do not confirm if the wheels are genuine or reps.

Please report any suspicious activity to myself or one of the other moderators.

Thanks,

Noel --
Mintdubs
Site Admin

Postby MPOWERED » 03 Nov 2011 10:00

I have an ad running for a set of BBS RS wheels for sale. Got an email this morning which was rather vague, a guy saying he is working away and wants to buy them for his son. So if I give him my PayPal details he will pay and arrange collection.
The reply doesn't ring true in many ways. Has anyone else had emails from someone calling themself Adams Moore ? His email address is very similar to his name and via Yahoo.
MPOWERED

Postby Mintdubs » 03 Nov 2011 11:20

Total scam fella, already had a pm from another member about this guy this morning.

It's been discussed further down by other members also.

Please, if something sounds to good to be true then it probably is.

Thanks,

Noel --
Mintdubs
Site Admin

Postby MPOWERED » 03 Nov 2011 12:41

Yep, thought as much. Here's the email so others know.

My name is Adams Moore and I am an Oceanographer and am currently on the sea at the moment. I am buying the item as a gift for my Son and i want to make it a surprise gift for him and he won't know anything about the gift until they get delivered to him and I can only pay through PayPal... So please kindly get back to me with your PayPal email address and full name to (adamsmoore20@yahoo.com) So that i can proceed with the payment and after the payment has been done,i have a pick up agent that will come around to pick the item up immediately after you have receive payments confirmation message from PayPal regarding your payment. Looking forward to hear from you soon so that i can made the payment out to you and complete this transaction soon.... Best regards, Adams Moore.
MPOWERED

Postby ryedave » 05 Nov 2011 11:30

Yeah I've got an email thats near enough a carbon copy of that, didn't even get my name right (not that i posted my name)
ryedave
Über WWhore

Postby Gefstar » 22 Mar 2012 20:40

Thanks for the heads up.... Scumbag thieves make my blood boil
60% of the time, it works every time
Gefstar

Postby maiker » 05 Apr 2012 03:11

saying he is working away and wants to buy them for his son. So if I give him my PayPal details he will pay and arrange collection.
maiker

Postby jimlad » 01 May 2012 10:59

Yeah, normally they pay via pay-pal collect the item then dispute the payment, and paypal being the cunts they are will give him the money back without even listening to your side. Why i never put any decent amount through paypal. Say youll sell the wheels put something not so nice in the boxes then get them picked up.

Because of problems like this i never buy/sell wheels through paypal. I always go and collect them and pay cash, and stipulate the same when im selling.
jimlad
Banded Steel

Postby Dani » 22 May 2012 13:20

Dani
Über WWhore

Postby wheellover69 » 21 Jun 2012 16:06

Good heads up, sadly there's people on eBay still managing to scam people so its not just here. Hope the bast*rdos get whats coming to them! :evil:
WheelLover69 - I love rims baby!
Favourite Wheel at the moment: Calibre Altus Matt Black http://wheelwright.co.uk/alloywheels/calibre/classic-silver-polished-lip
Current Whip: Vauxhall Corsa D 1.3CDTI 2007 Black
wheellover69

Postby Ivano » 16 Jan 2013 13:46

I got a scam email this morning for the fifteen52 snowflakes over on the classifieds I have for sale

I caught on straight away that it was a scam

The email address was adjames33412@rocketmail.com

A notorious email for this sort of thing. Google showed up many similar alerts

Beware
Ivano

Postby Lattimer_11 » 19 Feb 2013 10:54

Hello Guys

I got an email from a guy called Danny miles enquiring About my wheels. The email i received seemed to be in a similar format as the ones i have read on this forum. Ill enclose a copy of the email to show you all. Is this a possible Scam?

Email i received By dmiles33412@yahoo.com

Hello,

Thank you for your response...My name is Danny Miles,I am currently out of town at the moment. I am buying the wheels for my brother and the asking price sounds good to me.I can only pay through PayPal only. So kindly get back to me with your PayPal invoice or PayPal email address,phone number and your name.... so I can proceed with the payment and after I have made the payment, I have a pick up agent that will come around for pick up of the item from your location.

Hope to read from you with the requested payment details asap....

Best Regards,
Danny.

Many Thanks guys

Lattimer_11
Lattimer_11

Postby son » 20 Feb 2013 19:29

got that exact email as above today
son
Über WWhore

Postby chris_black » 13 Mar 2013 21:30

anyone got a message from "davidschamber101@yahoo.com" ?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

BWA, ATS, MAS, KN Jupiter, Formula, Cromodora

Hello, I just came across your AD and I'll like to know the following questions regarding the wheels...
Q#1. How long have you owned them?
Q#2. Why are you selling them?
Q#3. Any more available pictures?
Q#4. How much is the lowest price you would take for them?
Q#5. Do you accept PayPal as a mode of payment?
I'll like to have the response to these questions as soon as possible...
Thank you, Regards
David Schamber

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sounds fishy and If I'm not mistaken I think I've seen this set of questions before
chris_black

Next

Return to SCAMMERS (AVOIDING & REPORTING)