FacebookYouTubeFlickrTwitter

It is currently 26 Apr 2018 13:02

OCEANOGRAPHERS DONT BUY WHEELS! - ITS A SCAM!

Follow these rules to reduce risk of being caught out by the many scammers that operate online these days...

Moderator: WW Moderating Team

OCEANOGRAPHERS DONT BUY WHEELS! - ITS A SCAM!

Postby dubshell » 26 Jan 2012 18:14

UPDATE 17/12/2012

HEY FOLKS,

JUST A QUICK HEADS UP AS WE ARE AWARE THAT SEVERAL OF YOU ARE GETTING EMAILS FROM SO-CALLED OCEANOGRAPHERS OR FAMILIES OF SAID PEOPLE WANTING TO BUY YOUR WHEELS AS GIFTS.

THE SCAM IS WELL DOCUMENTED ON THE FORUMS HERE AND ON OTHER SITES, SO IF YOU GET A FISHY ( :clap: ) OFFER FOR YOUR WHEELS WHICH INVOLVES SHIPPING AGENTS, WESTERN UNION, OR GENERALLY SOMETHING THAT DOESNT SOUND OR FEEL RIGHT, DELETE THE EMAILS AND IGNORE ANY FUTURE CONTACT.

REMEMBER TO POST UP ANYTHING RELEVANT TO THESE THREADS FOR OTHER MEMBERS TO KEEP ON TOP OF.

STAY SAFE AND ENJOY THE CLASSIFIEDS,

HO-HO-HO!

Noel -- Mintdubs

hello all,
I have placed and ad in the classifieds and a man by the name of james williams has got in contact to buy my wheels however he is a scamming liitle **** .
He sent me an email saying he had sent the money via paypal but the money would be kept on hold until I had forked out £450 of my own money to ship the wheels to him in America.

Needles to say I havent done this but wanted to make everyone aware so no one falls for his scam as I also received a very convincing email from 'paypal'.

He has been reported to paypal and after some digging I have found I am not the only one he has tried to scam:

http://www.junksale.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=14611

His details for all to see are:
willjames1900@yahoo.com
Dennis Armstrong
203 Beley Ave.
Mattydale, NEW YORK. 13243
USA.

Here is a copy of his correspondence to me:
Date: Wed, 25 Jan 2012 14:35:11 -0800
Subject: PAYMENT MADE OUT VIA PAYPAL...CHECK FOR PAYMENT CONFIRMATION DETAILS !!!
To: mr_space_chicken@hotmail.com

Hello Shelton,
I have made the payments out to you and PayPal emailed me confirming this... So please check your PayPal email address for the PayPal payment confirmation email. PayPal said that they would be holding the money i sent because of the excess payments that i made which was the money for pick up, i will need you to proceed and Wire the excess which is £400 to my pick up agent to enable them make a booking for the picked up of the item.Remember that you will wire the agent fee to them via Western Union Money transfer as that is there method of payment.

So please do send the £400 through western union money transfer and use the remaining change of £50 as Western Union charges.You can easily Walk to the local post office or any outlet around you.After you have sent the money please get back to me asap with the western union details, the MTCN number which you will be given by western union after you have sent the money as well as the sender's name and address so i can forward it back to PayPal for your money to be put through or you can email it to PayPal directly,that is alright as well.

Here is my pick up agent's info that you will need to send the money to through western union money transfer:

Dennis Armstrong
203 Beley Ave.
Mattydale, NEW YORK. 13243
USA.

I will need the address where the item will be picked up,as my pick up agent will contact you to book a pick up time after they have received payments but they will have to book a time that is convenient for you.I will be glad you send the money out to the agent information above and get back to me with the western union details towards smooth and fast accreditation of your funds (£1,400.00 GBP) into your PayPal personal account today.

Best Regards,
James.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
To: willjames1900@yahoo.com
Sent: Wednesday, January 25, 2012 7:45 AM
Subject: RE: A message about your ad on Wheel Sanctuary

Hi James,
I have sent you an invoice via my paypal account. This is for the amount of £950 as you have stated you are arranging your own courier. If you wish me to arrange this please let me know as I will need to revise the amount requested. The invoice has a link to the item listed on wheel sanctuary.

My name is Shelton but the request via paypal has been made through my partner's account
Agreed price is £950.00 GBP

The item is sold as seen and the agreed price does not include shipping costs.

Many thanks
Shelton

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Date: Tue, 24 Jan 2012 13:39:24 -0800
Subject: Re: A message about your ad on Wheel Sanctuary
To: mr_space_chicken@hotmail.com

Hello,

Thanks for the prompt response towards this transaction...Your asking price sounds good to me.My name is James Williams and am currently out of town at the moment due to work.I am buying the item as a gift for my Dad.Payment will be made via PayPal,and pick up will commence by my private shipping agent once payment confirmation message is receive by you from PayPal.All you need to do is to fill the below data for payment to be sent out asap...

FULL NAME:

PAYPAL EMAIL:

TEL.PHONE NUMBER:

AGREED PRICE:

I will keep you posted once payment is sent out while date and time of pick up will be arrange between you and my shipper once payment is been notify and confirmed by PayPal. Thanks very much...

Regards,James.
To: willjames1900@yahoo.com
Sent: Tuesday, January 24, 2012 8:09 AM
Subject: RE: A message about your ad on Wheel Sanctuary

hello bud the wheels are as stated, as listed the only fault with them is a slight stone rash on the outter rims other wise they are spotless. tyres are all good, pretty much new
i will take £950 plus postage if required. You are more than welcome to come view them before hand
thank you, shell

> Date: Tue, 24 Jan 2012 01:33:50 +0000
> To: mr_space_chicken@hotmail.com
> Subject: A message about your ad on Wheel Sanctuary
> From: willjames1900@yahoo.com
>
> SCHMIDT TH lines 15's 4x100 sale/swap
>
> Hi Mate,What is the present condition of this item and your final asking price?? My mode of payment is via PayPal... I'll like to have the response to these question in your earliest convenience.James.
>
> http://www.wheel-whores.com/classifieds ... oduct=7754

YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED
dubshell
Über WWhore

Re: SCAM ON CLASSIFIEDS please read !!!!!!

Postby Mintdubs » 28 Jan 2012 23:11

Hi fella,

Thanks for bringing this to our attention, just one of many scammers trying to dupe our members.

You seen it for what it was which was lucky, but the big giveaways are the grammar and use of language - who uses the phrase Final asking price? Just these people :wink:

The story is similar to many others and it all screams of scam - buyer out of the country, shipping arrangements odd etc.

My advice is to email paypal with all details of the false paypal email and I would also change your passwords just as a precaution.

You used common sense when dealing with them, but unfortunately some people are desperate for the sale so let the possibility of the money blind them to what's going on.

Best of luck selling your wheels and hopefully you get a genuine buyer soon!

Cheers,

Mintdubs --
Mintdubs
Site Admin

Re: Another scammer - please watch out folks!

Postby dan.h » 03 Feb 2012 12:38

I recieved an email off the same fella last night
dan.h

Postby Nash_TDI » 03 Feb 2012 20:57

Just got one myself too. Watch out guys!
Nash_TDI
Über WWhore

Postby dan.h » 03 Feb 2012 21:00

He's just sent me another asking for my details so he can send payment lol
dan.h

Postby rabriolet » 04 Feb 2012 21:59

just got emails from him also

To: krismoore2@comcast.net
Sent: Thursday, February 2, 2012 10:02:07 PM
Subject: A message about your ad on Wheel Sanctuary

18x8 18x10 ‎3PC SIMMONS RACING WHEEL

Hi Mate,What is the present condition of this item and your final asking price?? My mode of payment is via PayPal... I'll like to have the response to these question in your earliest convenience.

Hello,
Thanks for the prompt response towards this transaction...Your asking price sounds good to me.My name is James Williams and am currently out of town at the moment due to work.I am buying the item as a special gift for my DAD.Payment will be made via PayPal,and pick up will commence by my private shipping agent once payment confirmation message is receive by you from PayPal.All you need to do is to fill the below data for payment to be sent out asap...

FULL NAME:
PAYPAL EMAIL:
TEL.PHONE NUMBER:
AGREED PRICE:

I will keep you posted once payment is sent out while date and time of pick up will be arrange between you and my shipper once payment is been notify and confirmed by PayPal. Thanks very much...

Regards,James.

To: james williams <willjames1900@yahoo.com>
Sent: Friday, February 3, 2012 5:32 PM

What is your name on Wheel whores? Have you bought from anyone else on there before?

To: krismoore2@comcast.net
Sent: Saturday, February 4, 2012 12:24:45 PM

No i have not...why did you asked???

To: james williams <willjames1900@yahoo.com>
Sent: Friday, February 3, 2012 5:32 PM

Because there are a TON of scammers wanting merchandise picked up by their shipping agent and shipped out of the country
rabriolet

Postby ajs » 14 Feb 2012 19:30

Hello my name is Anthony I live in Mass. USA. I wanted to reply to this post because I too am in the same situation as this poster. I was trying to sell my car stereo online using car-stereo.com or something like that, and I recieved in email from a Frank Miller frankmiller2010@gmail.com and he asked me if i accepted paypal, i said yes and he proceed with transaction, I then recieved A VERY CONVINCING EMAIL FROM PAYPAL, stating that Frank Miller had transfered $550.00 dollars into my account, however it was being held by paypal in security. I was then told by Frank that I was to wire $300 of my own money, via western Union to a dennis armstrong at 203 Beley Ave. Mattydale, NEW YORK. 13243 and that I was to then forward the MTCN number (confirmation from western union) back to frank miller to verify the funds had been sent to him, and at that point the funds of $550 dollars would be released to my account. I even replied to the email I recieved from Pay Pal and got a reply assuring me it was safe. I dont know how this person is acomplishing this but it is absolutely A SCAM - WATCH OUT!!! - I was only asking 200 for my stereo why would someone pay 200 for it, plus 50 for shipping costs and an additional 300 for some shipping agent it doesn't make sense. It is also very weird and convenient that it just so happens the limit on my paypal account for money transfers is $550 dollars. It appears to me he is trying to get the max he can out of me. It is absolutely a scam PLEASE DONT FALL FOR THIS....
ajs

Postby neilrr » 22 Feb 2012 12:50

Just got a(nother) one. Binned.

Paypal offer zero protection for sellers on any collected item. Proof of delivery in the form of a shipping company's tracking page is all they will accept, nothing else, not even photos & a signed collection receipt.

sarahatks0026@yahoo.com via wheel-whores.com to me

show details 06:57 (5 hours ago)

17" x 8J AMG 5509 5 spoke reps, with 225 45 17 tyres & locking nuts

Hi,Is this item still up for sale and what is your final asking price?? My mode of payment is via PayPal... I'll like to have the response to these question in your earliest convenience...Sarah.
neilrr

ATTEMPTED SCAM! BE CAREFULL

Postby Bbs*bandit » 26 Mar 2012 11:14

So i have a set of magslots for sale on here, and got an email saying this bloke wants them..so did all the messaging and stuff and he seemed ligit....untill payment!! heres the email i recived! .... i then googled his "pick up agent" and started to find out and realise what was going on...

Hello Laura,
I have made the payments out to you and PayPal emailed me confirming this... So please check your PayPal email address (laura_jean_jones@hotmail.co.uk) for the PayPal payment confirmation email. PayPal said that they would be holding the money i sent because of the excess payments that i made which was the money for pick up, i will need you to proceed and Wire the excess which is £200 to my pick up agent to enable them make a booking for the picked up of the item.Remember that you will wire the agent fee to them via western union Money transfer as that is there method of payment.

So please do send the £200 through western union money transfer and use the remaining change of £50 as western union charges.You can easily Walk to the local post office or any outlet around you.After you have sent the money please get back to me asap with the western union details, the mtcn number which you will be given by western union after you have sent the money as well as the sender's name and address so i can forward it back to PayPal for your money to be put through or you can email it to PayPal directly,that is alright as well.

Here is my pick up agent's info that you will need to send the money to through western union money transfer:

Jamiu Momodu
159 Duchess Ct
Jamestown,NC.27282
USA.

I will need the address where the item will be picked up,as my pick up agent will contact you to book a pick up time after they have received payments but they will have to book a time that is convenient for you.I will be glad you send the money out to the agent information above and get back to me with the western union details towards smooth and fast accreditation of your funds (£400.00 GBP) into your PayPal personal account soon.

Best Regards,
Sarah.

research on google the pick up agents name....posts come up from all types of fourums warning of this bloke!! also the email used to contact me was... >>>>>>>DANSARAH001@YAHOO.COM<<<<<<<<
PLEASE REPOST THIS EVERYWHERE AND ANYWHERE YOU CAN BEFORE 1 OF OUR WHEEL LOVERS GETS F**KED OVER!!!!!
Bbs*bandit

Postby Bbs*bandit » 26 Mar 2012 11:24

So i have a set of magslots for sale on here, and got an email saying this bloke wants them..so did all the messaging and stuff and he seemed ligit....untill payment!! heres the email i recived! .... i then googled his "pick up agent" and started to find out and realise what was going on...

Hello Laura,
I have made the payments out to you and PayPal emailed me confirming this... So please check your PayPal email address (laura_jean_jones@hotmail.co.uk) for the PayPal payment confirmation email. PayPal said that they would be holding the money i sent because of the excess payments that i made which was the money for pick up, i will need you to proceed and Wire the excess which is £200 to my pick up agent to enable them make a booking for the picked up of the item.Remember that you will wire the agent fee to them via western union Money transfer as that is there method of payment.

So please do send the £200 through western union money transfer and use the remaining change of £50 as western union charges.You can easily Walk to the local post office or any outlet around you.After you have sent the money please get back to me asap with the western union details, the mtcn number which you will be given by western union after you have sent the money as well as the sender's name and address so i can forward it back to PayPal for your money to be put through or you can email it to PayPal directly,that is alright as well.

Jamiu Momodu
159 Duchess Ct
Jamestown,NC.27282
USA.

I will need the address where the item will be picked up,as my pick up agent will contact you to book a pick up time after they have received payments but they will have to book a time that is convenient for you.I will be glad you send the money out to the agent information above and get back to me with the western union details towards smooth and fast accreditation of your funds (£400.00 GBP) into your PayPal personal account soon.

Best Regards,
Sarah.

research on google the pick up agents name....posts come up from all types of fourums warning of this bloke!! also the email used to contact me was... >>>>>>>DANSARAH001@YAHOO.COM<<<<<<<<
PLEASE REPOST THIS EVERYWHERE AND ANYWHERE YOU CAN BEFORE 1 OF OUR WHEEL LOVERS GETS F**KED OVER!!!!!
Bbs*bandit Posts: 4Joined: 14 Jan 2012 16:30

Post a reply
Bbs*bandit

Postby Schumey » 13 May 2012 23:14

New one?

From randybrash101@gmail.com

Hello, I just came across your AD and I'll like to know the following questions regarding the wheels...

Q#1. How long have you owned them?

Q#2. How much is the lowest price you would take for them?

Q#3. Do you accept PayPal as a mode of payment?

I'll like to have the response to these questions as soon as possible...

Thank you, Regards

Randy Brash
Schumey
Split Rim

Postby pic323i » 28 May 2012 07:09

I've got the same email from him. What a stupid question's. :lol:

Hello, I just came across your AD and I would like to know the following questions regarding these wheels...
Q#1. How long have you owned them?
Q#2. a) Have you owned them from new?
b) If not how many previous owners?
Q#3. How much is the lowest price you would take for them?
Q#4. Do you accept PayPal as a mode of payment?
I would like to have the response to these questions as soon as possible...
pic323i
Hubcap

Postby pic323i » 28 May 2012 11:57

And this is another one? :x

BBS RA 6 & 7x15

hello seller
i just went through the profile of your wheel and i think i love them. please i want you to get back to me as soon as possible for proper negotiation of the price because i want to buy it.. please get back to me as fast as you can
pic323i
Hubcap

Postby Racing Gear » 06 Jun 2012 01:29

I think I may have just received one too for the Silhouettes I have posted on sale...received from email address kelvin_palmer02@hotmail.com:

F/S: Impul Silouette C1 17x7.5 30 17x8.0 36 (with all center caps)

I am interested in purchasing your Item. What is the final price of the Item? Is the price firm? PayPal is my preffered means of payment..Contact me with the present state of the Item and some pics as well.

http://www.wheel-whores.com/classifieds ... oduct=9140
-----
No virus found in this message.
Checked by AVG - www.avg.com
Version: 2012.0.2178 / Virus Database: 2433/5048 - Release Date: 06/05/12

Racing Gear

Postby pic323i » 06 Jun 2012 20:48

I've got the same e-mail from naomi.stenley :x :

naomi.steinly@yahoo.com:
I am interested in purchasing your Item. What is the final price of the Item? Is the price firm? PayPal is my preffered means of payment..Contact me with the present state of the Item and some pics as well. Hoping to hear from you.
pic323i
Hubcap

Next

Return to SCAMMERS (AVOIDING & REPORTING)